A rhinoplasty can make a big difference to your appearance. Just a slight adjustment to the contours of your nose can bring prominence and balance to other facial features, making you look your absolute best. When you visit our Edina plastic surgery practice, we will go over the entire rhinoplasty procedure in great detail, allowing you to make the best possible decisions about your aesthetic goals and your various surgical options.
Sometimes a second rhinoplasty may be necessary after the first one has been performed. This is known as a revision rhinoplasty. Let’s take a few moments right now to go over the basics of the revision rhinoplasty procedure so you have a basic understanding of what is involved.
What is revision rhinoplasty?
Revision rhinoplasty is a corrective or secondary nose job surgery that is performed after the first rhinoplasty has been performed. We always strive to perform both primary rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty in as non-invasive a manner as possible at our cosmetic surgery center serving Minneapolis.
Reasons for Undergoing Revision Rhinoplasty
There are three common reasons that people undergo revision rhinoplasty:
- Aesthetic issues with the first surgery – Sometimes after undergoing a nose job, patients are not satisfied with the overall results. In these cases, the revision surgery will be ideal for helping patients achieve their aesthetic goals.
- Complications after the first surgery – Complications following surgery can drastically affect a person’s health as well as a person’s overall appearance. In these instances, the revision rhinoplasty is vital for patient health.
- Injury to the nose while recovering from the first surgery – The nose is very tender following a rhinoplasty and susceptible to major injury. If a patient injures his or her nose while recovering, a revision surgery will be essential for restoring appearance and overall well being.
Is revision rhinoplasty common?
Revision surgery for Edina rhinoplasty is actually not that common, though it sometimes does need to be performed. Because there is a chance of it being required, we always inform patients fully about the various pros and cons of the surgery.
How is revision rhinoplasty performed?
Ideally, a revision rhinoplasty is performed using the same incisions as the initial rhinoplasty surgery. There are two ways that rhinoplasty can be performed:
- Closed rhinoplasty – Incisions are hidden in the nostrils, meaning no outward scarring. This limits the amount and kind of adjustment that can be accomplished.
- Open rhinoplasty – An incision is made along the columella, the skin between the nostrils. While there is an outward scar, there is great ability to sculpt the nose.
How can the need for revision rhinoplasty be reduced?
There are plenty of ways that the need for revision rhinoplasty can be reduced. For one, there are special pre-operative and post-operative instructions provided for various facial plastic surgery and rejuvenation procedures. By following these to the letter, patients will improve their healing experience and reduce the chances of experiencing complications.
In addition, we advise patients to think long and hard about their decision to undergo surgery and to consider how their lives will be affected. Basically we feel that once patients know all of the risks and benefits, they can make realistic and informed decisions about their surgery and be much happier with the results achieved.
Schedule a Consultation for Rhinoplasty
For more information about rhinoplasty as well as your many other options for facial rejuvenation and enhancement, be sure to contact our Edina cosmetic plastic surgery center today. Our entire team looks forward to meeting you in person and helping you achieve the best possible aesthetic results.