Many people struggle with excess fat, especially around their midsection. Even those who exercise and eat a healthy diet can succumb to excess patches of fat that no amount of diet and exercise can alleviate. Fortunately, there is an effective, reliable way to treat these stubborn patches of fat,liposuction. At the Minneapolis-area plastic surgery practice of Brian J. Kobienia M.D., F.A.C.S., liposuction has helped many patients refine the contours of their body. You should consider contacting us if you have pockets of fat throughout your body that exercise and diet cannot seem to rid you of; you may be an ideal candidate for liposuction.
Liposuction is not meant to be weight loss surgery; it is designed to remove small amounts of excess fat while refining the contours of the body. Excess skin must be minimal and elastic enough to adapt once the fat has been removed. The versatility of liposuction allows treatment throughout the body, including the buttocks, legs, neck, breasts, stomach, and back. The procedure itself is relatively simple; small incisions are made in the desired treatment region through which the cannula, a hollow, tube-like instrument attached to a suction device, is inserted to remove the excess fat. Dr. Kobienia offers three different liposuction techniques to our patients in the Minneapolis area.
- Tumescent Liposuction
- Dr. Kobienia will inject a large amount of a solution containing local anesthetic and a vasoconstrictor, designed to limit bleeding risks, directly into the layer of fat that is to be removed. The fat is broken up and sucked out through the cannula as Dr. Kobienia moves it about the layer of fat.
- Ultrasound-assisted Liposuction (UAL)
- This technique utilizes a specialized cannula that transmits ultrasonic vibrations which burst the fat cells as the surgeon moves it about the layer of fat, essentially liquefying the fat. Once the specialized cannula has liquefied the fat, it is removed through suction in a similar fashion to the tumescent approach.
- Power-assisted Liposuction (PAL)
- Like UAL, PAL utilizes a special cannula. This specialized cannula has mechanized movement that breaks up the layer of fat without the need for Dr. Kobienia to make as many manual movements. Once the fat is broken up it is suctioned out in the same manner as UAL.
Once the chosen liposuction technique has been performed, the small incisions are closed using sutures, and recovery can be completed at home. Most patients are able to return to their normal routines within one to two weeks of surgery. In addition to performing liposuction, Dr. Kobienia is also experienced at performing fat grafting, which utilizes your own fat as an injectable filler to reduce wrinkles.
Learn More about Liposuction
If you have been struggling to lose those last few pounds or get rid of those stubborn bulges of fat, liposuction may be your solution. At the Minneapolis-area practice of Dr. Kobienia, serving the Twin Cities, liposuction has helped many patients refine the contours of their body with great success. Please contact our practice today to schedule a personal consultation to determine whether you are a candidate for liposuction.
"I am grateful for how easy and comfortable you made me feel at every appointment and every surgery, but most of all I am thankful for all you do and have done for me."- Sandy