What to Expect from Facelift Surgery: The Recovery Timeline
By Brian Kobienia, MD, FACS on September 06, 2016
At Kobienia Plastic Surgery, Dr. Brian J. Kobienia uses the most advanced technologies and minimally invasive techniques available to help ensure that his patients benefit from the shortest and most comfortable recovery periods possible after plastic surgery. Nevertheless, patients should expect that major procedures such as facelift still require a relatively lengthy recovery process. The full results of facelift surgery are generally not apparent until months after the procedure, a fact of which Dr. Kobienia wants his patients to be well aware before they commit to surgery.
Indeed, Dr. Kobienia wants his facelift patients to understand exactly what they should expect as they recover from facelift surgery, including the role they will play in their own timely healing. This is why he provides patients with a detailed facelift recovery timeline during consultations at his Edina, MN plastic surgery practice. While modern facelift surgery is extremely safe, and Dr. Kobienia consistently produces exceptionally natural-looking, aesthetically pleasing results, patients must understand that it remains a serious surgical procedure with a significant recovery period. Once they have been made fully aware of this, they can make informed, confident decisions about whether to proceed with surgery.
Of course, there are many factors that can influence the recovery timeline of an individual patient, including the extent of the patient’s facelift and the technique used to perform it. To find out what your specific facelift will entail and what your facelift recovery timeline will be, please schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Kobienia by contacting Kobienia Plastic Surgery today.
What Should You Expect during Your Recovery from Facelift Surgery?
As stated above, there are many factors that will influence your specific facelift recovery timeline; however, this general timeline will give you a basic idea of what you can expect:
- The day of your facelift: Depending on which type of facelift you undergo, it is possible that you will have to remain in the hospital overnight after your procedure. If you are allowed to return home on the day of your surgery, you will need to have someone pick you up from our office and drive you home. Unless Dr. Kobienia advises you differently, you will be allowed to shower on the day after your surgery, as long as you avoid the direct spray of water on your face.
The first three days after your facelift: During this time, it is very important that you follow all of Dr. Kobienia’s post-surgical instructions to the absolute letter. This includes:
- Taking all prescribed medications exactly as instructed, especially antibiotics as they will help to prevent infection.
- Keeping your head elevated, even when you are sleeping, to prevent swelling.
- Doing some light walking, but otherwise avoiding all strenuous activity and getting plenty of rest.
- The first two weeks after your facelift: During this period, you will most likely experience some discomfort, which can be minimized through prescription or over-the-counter pain relievers. Bruising, swelling, numbness, and skin discoloration are also common, although they should begin to subside by the end of the second week. You may be able to return to work by the end of the second week after surgery, but you will still be prohibited from heavy lifting and other strenuous activities.
- The first four months after your facelift: During this time, you will finally begin to see the optimal results of your facelift. Dr. Kobienia will also clear you to resume exercising and other routine activities during this span.
Learn More about Recovering from Facelift Surgery
To learn more about the facelift recovery timeline, please contact Kobienia Plastic Surgery today.
Related to This
"I am grateful for how easy and comfortable you made me feel at every appointment and every surgery, but most of all I am thankful for all you do and have done for me."- Sandy